Click on an event for more information.
To arrange a customised lecture for your company / group, go to Customised CPD Lectures.
- This event has passed.
Filtration & Drainage with Geosynthetics CPD Lecture in Pmb
August 24, 2016 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
This is an open, free lecture. Contact us to book your seat.
The use of integrated drainage solutions using geosynthetics is a globally accepted practise. However, poor installation techniques can result in less than satisfactory results. This talk presents quality information, based on both theory and practical experience on how subsoil and structural drainage should be designed and constructed.
This illustrated introduction is intended as a follow-on lecture to the initial “Introduction to Geosynthetics” lecture (which we recommend should precede this lecture) and concentrates on basic design concepts around how geosynthetics behave in filtration and drainage applications. Delegates will also come away with 0.2 SAICE or SAIBD CPD credits for professionals registered with ECSA or SACAP.
PROGRAMME (± 2 Hours)
- What is a Geotextile? – Different types available locally.
- Properties and Implications of using different polymers and constructions, e.g. polypropylene / polyester and, wovens / nonwovens.
- How geotextiles work in filtration and when they don’t (mechanisms of piping, blocking, blinding & clogging), including biochemical clogging – ferric hydroxide (ochre) problems and possible ameliorating measures.
- Stone-filled drains vs. fin or panel drains: Performance, cost savings, installation issues.
- Area Drainage: Sports field drainage, permeable paving, panel drains.
- Structural Drainage: Geonet & cuspated sheet systems, roof gardens, parking areas.
- Septic Tank and Storm water Attenuation systems: A new approach using HDPE tunnel formers instead of stone leach fields and soak pits.
- Gabion Structures: The need for filters and what can happen when they are not used.