Click on an event for more information.
To arrange a customised lecture for your company / group, go to Customised CPD Lectures.
- This event has passed.
Erosion Control with Geosynthetics CPD Lecture in Pmb
September 21, 2016 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
This is an open, free lecture. Contact us to book your seat.
Uncontrolled erosion results in a host of environmental problems. Many of these problems can be prevented by employing relatively simple erosion control techniques. Among these solutions may be found those that are offered by the use of geosynthetic products. Depending on project requirements, these products can be biodegradable, photodegradable, or non-degradable.
This illustrated introduction is intended as a follow-on lecture to the initial “Introduction to Geosynthetics” lecture (which we recommend should precede this lecture) and concentrates on basic design concepts around how geosynthetics behave in erosion control applications. Delegates will come away with a good understanding of what these versatile materials can do (as well as 0.2 SAICE or SAIBD CPD credits for professionals registered with ECSA or SACAP).
PROGRAMME (± 2 Hours)
- The South African legislation in respect of erosion control.
- Erosion Control with Silt Fences – Design Considerations.
- Erosion Control with Biodegradable Geosynthetics – Soil Blankets.
- Erosion Control with Geocells – Slope & Channel Lining – Labour-intensive projects.
- Gabion Baskets & Mattresses – Design Considerations. The need for filters and what happens when they are not used.
- Earth & Rockfill dams – The extensive use of geotextile filters to control erosion under rip-rap, around clay cores, chimney drains, and toe drains in South African dams.
- Marine & Riverine Erosion Control – The use of Geocontainers & Geotubes.